Leeds and Edinburgh student unions have both banned Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’ from being played within their Union venues. Some say it’s offensive, and derogatory to women, whilst others think it’s just the norm of pop culture today and there’s worse out there.

blurred-lines-explicit-unrated-video-robin-thicke-680x400

We want to know what you think, should SUSU ban the number 1 single from being played in its venues?

Have you got something to say about it, why not leave a comment?

24 Comments »

Leave your response!

• some dude

I’d say no, not because of the fact it’s sexist and objectifying (obscenely so in fact) but because I’m a little wary of anything being censored. I think it’s fair to say that (most of us) are grown ups now and are capable of acting like decent human beings, regardless of the message the song carries.

• Sick of Idiots

Why is the fact that there may be even worse songs out there make it acceptable? Surely that’s just even more worrying. What a stupid argument.

Noone would agree if you said that some dictators should be allowed to carry on killing people because there are dictators who are even more sadistic in the world…

MZ

Kony?

Kony

You called?

appreciatesedgyjokeslad

win^

• Student

Well this is a bit of a rubbish post – why not tell us why it has been banned? I haven’t noticed anything inappropriate about the lyrics?

• Idiots.

I find One Direction, Miley Cyrus and ABBA offensive for various reasons I came up with by strongly analysing their song lyrics from a certain perspective.

Can we ban them too?

• Through Thicke and thin

Censoring Justin Bieber will have been more acceptable and the most sensible thing to do.

• Claire

I think whatever people think it’s been on the Surge system for so long it’d be a bit weird taking it off now. Like surely the damage has been done by now and it’ll get taken off playlists soon anyway?

• Fed up of Robin Thicke

Unfortunately this article doesn’t explain exactly why this song is so derogatory to women, and why it shouldn’t be played. Thicke sings “I know you want it,” a phrase that many sexual assault survivors report their rapists saying to justify their actions; just one of many lines in the song which are disrespectful to women. If you listen to the lyrics, this rape anthem is about male desire and male dominance over a woman’s sex life. The rigid definition of masculinity makes the man unable to accept the idea that sometimes his advances are not welcome. Thus, instead of treating a woman like a human being and respecting her subjectivity, she’s relegated to the role of living sex doll whose existence is naught but for the pleasure of a man.

Claire

Are you offended by the song ‘Get Lucky’ (“Up all night to get some”) or ‘Talk Dirty’ (“Her pussy so good I bought her a pet”) or ‘Candy Shop’ (“Lick my lolly-pop”) or any other mainstream pop song?

Red

Yes actually

Claire

How about a bit of Britney?

“If I said I want your body now
    Would you hold it against me?
    ‘Cause, you feel like paradise
    And I need a vacation tonight
    So, if I said I want your body now
    Would you hold it against me?”

Or does she not count because she’s a woman talking to a man? Because sexism is totally one way right.

Fed up of Robin Thicke

Not the point because these songs are about consensual sex. Blurred Lines implies a lack of consent, or to put it another way, rape. Those other songs may objectify women (and yes men as well), but that’s not where the problem lies with this.

I'm Triggering

you’ve misinterpreted these lyrics in a way that almost seeks to find fault, I get the impression that the song can equally be seen as a man wishing to free a woman from the social boundaries created that prevent women from giving into their own desires

“Go ahead, get at me”, implies he is asking her to give consent

“But you’re a good girl”, implies that she is what society determines to be a “good girl” and therefore is against promiscuity, which is a sexist ideal that seems to be challenged?!

But I dont know I guess this could all be wrong but when you look for a certain meaning in any song it is easy to find

Claire

How do you know they’re about consensual sex? Get Lucky in particular is another song about a man in a nightclub hoping to find a drunk woman to ‘get lucky’ and sleep with her. Not exactly condoning the respectable practice of courting.

You’re taking an /interpretation/ of the song Blurred Lines. I’m not saying it’s right to condone rape culture, but with a song that doesn’t actually speak explicitly about raping a woman I don’t think you can be so angry at this one case considering the other trash out there.

Most of Odd Future/Tyler the Creator’s songs are about rape and murder but these have been played on all major radio stations and have received no such backlash.

Finally, I’d like to point you in the direction of this lovely song by Lil Kim, a woman who clearly has no hang-ups about singing about objectifying/ sexualising of women when it comes to making a catchy song in the name of music.

bad example

Not really relevant though is it. I’m sure Fred West was reported to have said ‘Good morning’ at some point, should we ban good morning in case it offends somebody?

• sam

Yes, because its offensive to my ears.

• Sam

I think the song is pathetic and weird, but we shouldn’t censor songs. Don’t contain my rage against terrible music! The tract is also rather insulting to men as well as women; we don’t pick off the drunkest in the pack, do we? Eh?

• Kony

Democracy is the freedom to be offended by anything. Deal with it, i doubt rapists get pumped up by hearing this firing out the susu shop.

• Someone who can read

• Anne Onymous

Can’t we just ban it for being an annoying song?

• Nigel Thornberry

Yes, play music from respectable artists like Chris Brown.

Adam Verity